What do you do when there’s a distinct lack of sex in a relationship?
Is it normal? Why does this happen?
More importantly, does it mean the relationship is over?
Is there still hope to get your sexy time back?
In this episode, we speak to “Dr. Romance” herself to find answers to these questions.
Dr. Tina B. Tessina, Ph.D. a licensed psychotherapist with over 30 years experience in counseling individuals and couples. She’s appeared on “Oprah”, “Larry King Live” and ABC News in the US.
Can a Relationship Survive Without Intimacy?
Intimacy is defined as:
“A close, familiar and unique bond existing between humans, both physically and emotionally.” (Counselling Directory)
At the beginning of a new relationship, we go through 11 stages of building physical intimacy.
A strong relationship survives on both forms of intimacy that have grown and evolved over time, built upon a foundation of trust and self-disclosure.
Failure to maintain a strong level of intimacy can lead to problems for your marriage, including infidelity.
How to Keep Your Marriage Safe From Infidelity
In this video, Dr Tessina shares the reasons why spouses typically cheat on their partners and tips for preventing your relationship from getting to a place where cheating becomes a real threat.
Here’s a summary of some key points Dr. Tessina talks about:
- Make your marriage safe from temptation.
- What you want to do is to make sure you stay connected to each other.
- That doesn’t mean being with each other every single moment and watching each other’s every move.
- What you need is to maintain a very connected relationship – a good sexual connection, a good intimacy connection.
- Men tend to cheat because they don’t feel respected and that you’re interested in them any longer.
- Women tend to cheat because they don’t feel loved and cared about.
The key? You need to stay connected and be intimate (not just sexually, but emotionally too) with your spouse.
How to Fix Intimacy Problems in a Marriage
Fixing intimacy problems in a marriage requires a conscious effort on both parts of the spouses involved.
As mentioned earlier, this requires building or re-building a foundation of trust, respect, love, and support.
It means working together to improve physical and emotional intimacy.
Marriage Intimacy Exercises
Dr. Romance shares a few practical tips during our interview to improve couple communication.
We’ve also collected 10 exercises for better couples communication and created a PDF workbook for you to use. Download our FREE PDF Workbook now.
Ready to hear Dr. Romance’s answer to “how do you solve a shaky marriage and lousy sex life?”
Listen in now.
Key Takeaways From This Episode:
- What is “the enlightened witness”?
- How to solve a shaky marriage
- How giving each other space helps your relationship
- What are the signs of a shaky marriage
- Why sex alone is not enough
- Learn what’s behind your anger
A-Ha! Quotes from This Episode:
You just have to give somebody the space to deal with what they're dealing with, and tell you about it Click To Tweet
Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Dr. Tina Tessina’s website
- How to Be a Couple and Still Be Free
- Download our FREE PDF Workbook – 10 Exercises for Better Couples Communication
- Read our free Guides to Marriage Success
Click here to view the full transcriptComing Soon!